Friday, July 3, 2009

Daddy, Where Does the Red Brick Road Go?

I was flipping through the stations yesterday, and came upon TCM that was showing the Wizard of Oz. Now, even though it was made in 1939, which was the golden year of Hollywood, may people today might consider the Wizard to be childish, and surpassed by later movies. This is categorically not true. When I first saw the movie, it scared the bejeezus out of me, and today I find that the movie still works, showing a magical place full of places to explore, evil witches to dowse and flying monkeys to play with.
There is one question that I have never had satisfactorily answered though about The Wizard of Oz. I have always wondered, where does the red brick road go? Now, IMDB states that it goes to the mayor's house of Munchkinville, but that just doesn't seem right. We all know that the yellow brick road leads you to where you want to go, for Dorothy it leads to the wizard. What does the red brick road symbolize?
Now, I am sure that this question might be answered in the other eleven or so books about the land of Oz. I have not read them. So I will take a leap into the unknown, and decide for myself what the red brick road is all about. I have always been interested in those paths not taken, the road that I pass that I don't take, and other choices that I don't make. The red brick road is all of these things. It is not to say that the road is of regret, as often times later I return to the crossroads just to find out what is down that dark path that I passed before. The red brick road is what you could become, but not what you are.
Most people don't think about these things, wanting only the Emerald City, bright and shiny and full of promise. They follow the yellow brick road until they get there, and damn what other things that could come about. For most people, the yellow brick road is ok, and all they really need is the Emerald City. For me, I want that peek behind the curtain.
What is my red brick road? There have been some choices that I could have taken that would have dramatically changed my life. One would have been to go to the other college that I had been accepted too. I would have studied something different, met different people, and God knows what else would be different. The next big change would have been to get a job right after graduation instead of graduate school. I might live elsewhere, be married or even have children by this time. I would know different people, and perhaps not even be writing this very thing.
I am sure that there are other choices I could have made that would have changed things, either for good or ill. Do I regret these things? No. Honestly how things have turned out so far haven't been too bad. Of course things could be better, but who can't say that. The events and people in my life have made me what I am now, and I am not disappointed.
Sure, sometimes I wonder though. Could things be different? They could be. Might they be better? Definitely. But I did not take the red brick road. I would sometimes like to go back to the beginning, and choose a different path. But then I would not be who I am today. I would not have met the same people and done the same things that I have done on my yellow brick road. The good thing is that I have not yet reached my Emerald City. I can always do something different if I choose, but cannot change the road that I have taken thus far. Maybe someday I will find a new road, and just take a peek on what might have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment