Friday, September 11, 2009

Learn About the World From The Comfort of Your Own Home

Last week I went to my ten year high school reunion. Now, I know what most people are thinking. High School reunions are usually a time when you see people that you haven't seen in many years, reminisce about good times that you shared, and possibly attempt to redress some of the regrets that you had. What I did not expect was to make some new friends. Almost everyone that was there was married, or soon to be married. I felt a little left out, but some of the new spouses were quite nice. One of them told me about her passions in life, one of which was teaching Girl Scouts about all numbers of things about different cultures.
Being an amiable fellow, I asked about her mission, and checked out her site. Normally I am not supremely impressed, as I try to be nonplussed, but her tack to teach children about different cultures around the world is quite well researched and interesting. Her site talks about each country, starting with the countries of Europe.
Her plan is to eventually have a section for each country in the world. Each section details a little general knowledge about the country, and several interesting arts/crafts, and cultural food ideas. Most cultural studies for college age people (which I was most used to) are usually quite boring, and give you little actual real understanding of how people actually live around the world. The type of information that you receive by actually doing and tasting what other people is rare knowledge. Most cultural education in the United States is sterile and clinic, often debasing it down to the sociological "underpinnings" that leave a stale taste in your mouth. However, this novel approach to learning about other cultures that she begins with her site is something that we should see more of.
A few odds and ends. First, this is a work in progress. Many of the countries have no listing, as research for over 160 countries will take some time. And yes, her intentions are to have at least a small amount of information concerning each and every country. Secondly, there are some formatting issues, but with all new projects, these can be worked out.
Why am I talking about this, when so many other things are going on? Well, first off, after I went to the site, the amount of material clearly merited some discussion, and that the approach of teaching culture through arts and crafts was something that I feel that most people have and will continue to overlook, unless such attempts are noted and disseminated. I guess you could say that I am doing my part to tell the world about this site, and what it is attempting to do. Secondly, sometimes I want to just talk about something new and interesting that is good. There are many things going on in the world that aren't bad, and sometimes just mentioning such things are helpful to maintain ones sanity.
Oh, before I forget, I should mention the site. For those who are interested, the address is http://www.culturecottage.com/. Even if you don't normally enjoy arts and crafts (and that group includes me), check it out. Learn something, and pass the knowledge along. It will be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment