Friday, August 7, 2009

The Sage of my So Called Life

John Hughes, the sage of our lives, has died of a heart attack yesterday, as of this writing. For those who have been living in a cave for their entire lives, John Hughes was a director of iconic and classic movies in the 1980's and early 90's. He is behind such titles as Home Alone, Sixteen Candles, Weird Science, Uncle Buck, Ferris Bueller's Day Off and the greatest movie of the 1980's: The Breakfast Club. His loss is felt by many.
Hughes captured the 1980's perfectly. The characters of his movies are classic, and remain rewatchable twenty years after. To me, his movies are a perfect example of what it means to be myself. Normally, I would expound at length about each of the movies, but I am just going to leave you with a simple command. Watch some of Hughes movies. Even if you have seen them before. Relive the eighties just once more. It will be worth your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment