Tuesday, June 30, 2009

She Bangs, She Bangs: Or Why William Hung Rules The World

I was watching VH1's I Love The New Millennium, a worthwhile use of an hour, a few days ago. For those of you who are unaware, VH1 has a number of shows like this that detail culture and other fun little tidbits over the last few decades, starting with the 1970's. They have a number of comedians and nostalgic celebrities (some that only loosely fit that description) that make fun of how people lived during that time and what they found to be cool. And for a short period of time during in the middle of the Aught's, William Hung was cool. He appeared on American Idol, a show that I have never watched, and displayed a complete lack of talent that still astounds the public. He did not advance in the show, but gained much more than a cult following and had a record deal. There are somethings that anyone will buy.
What does this say about people though? Well, people bought the record. The vast majority probably did it as a joke, since Hung was a national joke, but I assume that some did it because they truly liked what they heard. Now, these people probably will not admit it, to anyone other than their confessor, but they do exist. What this says that the old adage beauty is in the eye of the beholder really is true. William Hung shows us that there is someone for everyone, no matter how talentless or ugly the rest of us view them.
How can I say this? I am sure that there was some women out their who found William Hung desirable, which is beyond any logic that I can reach. But, to be fair, there are people that I find attractive that my immediate group of friends would heartily disagree with. Desirability is not a logical process, and we like what we like. That being said, for each person out there, there is someone who finds them desirable, since even someone like Hung was desired. I am not trying to put down Hung, since I am sure he is a decent and nice person, but he is so far out of the modern definition of beautiful and desirable that it is almost laughable.
People often don't see this about themselves. Depending on what day you ask them, they may see themselves as a movie star, and on the next day lower than the scum at the bottom of your shoe. We often see the worst in ourselves. I have often been my harshest critic, seeing all that was wrong or bad about me, and ignoring or not seeing what other people saw as the good. I was reminded of this a few weeks ago, when a friend of mine who I will call Carrie and I talked. We met back in college, and she had to put it lightly a rough road. She made many wrong decisions, often putting her life in jeopardy with drug use and doing quite poorly in school. I tried to be a friend to her, and was there for her when she needed the most help. We lost touch a number of years ago. Recently, I saw that she was online in Facebook, and we chatted for a while. I learned that she had gotten her life together, and she told me that I had been right all those years ago and that she had taken my advice. Now she is truly happy, and things are looking up.
Hearing this made me realize that what I had done was truly good, and in turn made me feel good. Even with all of the things that I had found wrong with me, there was this one thing that weighed heavily towards good, and probably how people actually saw me. How people actually saw me was a much better picture than how I saw myself. This principle applies to desirability as well. My head realizes that there are women out there who would love to be with me, even though I might not have found them yet. My heart tells me that this idea is stupid, but I try not to listen to it. Some days it works, some days it doesn't.
William Hung is a beacon of hope (he never imagined anyone calling him that) for those who can see past the joke and realize that everyone has someone. It might seem like a stretch to see this, but it all makes sense. Don't get me wrong, he still can't sing or dance, and to me has a face that only a mother could love, but that is only my opinion. Simon Cowell ain't objective truth, and there is someone there over the rainbow that dreams of He Bangs, He Bangs each and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment